Darius Pettway Youth Leadership Conference
Over 1.2 million students drop out of high school in the United States every year. This number means that one student every 26 seconds, or 7,000 students per day, do not complete high school. In addition, U.S. high school drop-outs commit 75% of all crimes. Out of that population, roughly 95% will return to their respective communities. Knowing this problem needs solutions, we must work to create youth leaders for today!
Understanding the importance of leadership, we have developed a three-day, uniformed, curriculum-based conference that offers teens the opportunity to be immersed in a dynamic, empowering, learning environment, exposed to strong educational and community leaders. Darius Pettway Youth Leadership Conference (DPYLC) is a proven blueprint that provides young adult males positive alternatives to gangs, violence, and dropping out of school while developing their leadership skills and exposing them to higher educational opportunities.
By joining DPYLC, students will develop the tools of conflict resolution, self-empowerment, and leadership identification. Studies have shown these skills can reduce the appeal of criminal activity and prevent a revolving door into the criminal justice system.
Students will be given a community engagement leadership project that will impact a specific issue in their community. During the last session of the conference, students will give a state of the union speech to their peers and community leaders. This speech will be videotaped. It holds them accountable and gives them something tangible to turn towards in times of difficulty, while they pursue their plan of action and move forward as leaders in their respective communities.
In addition, students will receive a plethora of takeaways and be given a chance to sign up for a consistent community mentor who will put forth the right kind of love, attention and care to ensure each child is given a fair chance to live a productive life as an adult. Participants enrolled in DPYLC will become members of our nationwide youth organizational family. We Create Leaders of Today!
- To improve youth’s life skills, including leadership, self-empowerment, communication, conflict resolution, team building, and trust.
- To inspire students to become ambassadors of community leadership.
- To increase youth’s awareness of personal responsibility for their choices.
- To increase the perception of healthy lifestyles and a sense of purpose and future.
- Provides young men with character development.
- Be between the age of 11-18.
- Be willing to receive the help that will change your life and future success.
STUDENTS WILL RECEIVE:
- Full workout gear for physical training that includes
A. Personal gym shoes for running
B. Fitted gym shorts, shirt, and socks
C. Water bottle for hydration
- Personalized DPYLC Book Bag
- Personalized video-taped State of The Union Speech
- Personalized autographed book “A Chance To…,” with a special message from Mr. Darius Pettway
- Customized DPYLC suit tie
- Personalized 25 laminated blueprint tools that promote change
- A renewed belief system that will unlock their hidden potential